Thursday, March 12, 2009

el inicio del viaje

"dont forget next week will begin our 3 week series on AIDS." ugh. not againpastor scott. this is the third time now i've watched these videos, heard the talks. sure, AIDS is a huge problem, and pictures are sad, and statistics unreal. but it doesnt reach me or anyone around me, so i wont worry about it.
...
that was my attitude. to me, in 8th grade, youth group on wednesday nights was just to socialize, -- oh yeah, and i mean of course God, right? eh, i'd do my duty to him during worship, now was my time with my friends.
...
so i didnt go to church this wednesday expecting anything, just to see my friends. maybe learn a new fact, but not something that would change my life.
...
after chillen for a while, we all gathered into the sanctuary. me and my friends took our usual 2 rows, and pastor scott asked us to "open our hearts and let God speak." *yawn* "yeah, uh huh, ok. lets go on with it", i was thinkin'.
...
well, during the first video, while all my peeps were talking, i was crying my eyes out. HOW EMBARASSING!! having them all look at me weird and laugh was humiliating. i honestly could not control myself. i wasn't prepared for God, but he was prepared for me.
...
every year we watch the same videos. never changes. so why something happened that night, no idea. a while after this happened i remembered praying a previous prayer, asking god to break my heart, and to see the things the way he sees things and to touch lives and make a difference. even before that i asked what my purpose was in life. /// step 1&2 done. step 3...in process.
...
i was silent the rest of the night. back at home, nothing. first, i was embarassed that i broke down in front of everyone, then i was confused. it took me a while to figure out what God was saying. but this is it: "aubrey, YOU are chosen. i chose you. you are going to be a light. and you are going to make a difference. are you willing? do you trust me?"
...
being a just 13 year old girl, i mean, i guess i could do it. so i jumped in the deep end.
...
things started to unfold february of 2008. Brio mag had a challenge to the girls to sponsor a child and then meet them the next summer of 2009 on mission trip. i talked to my mom and prayed about it, and i only felt led to sponsor the child. so, i chose one. Luis Fernando Alonzo, 6 years old. after a few months, i started to think about the trip again. so i sent in an application for guatemala, and within a month got an acceptance letter...now, $3000 was a lot of money to raise, considering i only babysit a few times a week at $5 an hour. the $32 for luis was really pushin it already. but again, i prayed about it and felt led to try. i started getting more babysitting, so that was a start. later, lucy gave me the idea of making my plates and selling them.
...
i knew of our church's annual christmas/thanksgiving craft show, so i bought the needed materials, made a few, and sent in an application. i was soon accepted. now i had a lot of work to do. (skip a few months time to the craft show). early november was the show. i spent all summer making the plates and had about 300. in two days, i made over $600. a lady leading girl scouts asked me to come teach the girls how to make them and she would donate. there i made about $150. another lady owned a dance studio and ofered to sell them there. Lucy sold them at the bank and made about $300. overall, in profit, i made over $1300 from the plates. and i am still getting orders. the rest of the money soon came in from overly generous sponsors.
...
so here i am, on march 12, 2009, talking on how God's hand is on my life. and he's working in me, and i am so ready for guatemala now.
-aubrey
"if you think you can,you can,
and if you think you can't,
you're right."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!! I'd love to see what the plates look like! Would you want to post a couple pictures of them on the blog?

a u b r e y said...

yeah i can. they're on my other computer, so i'll put them on there asap.
who are you by the way...?
-aubrey

Liberty said...

Hey, I love your blog, and your latest post! The quote at the end is so true. Bravo for stepping out in faith and going for what God told you to do!

Unknown said...

Hello, you're following my blog now so I thought I'd return the favor.

These are my thoughts...

First, I'm familiar with your situation. :-) I know what it's like to be complacent; it's often a struggle to keep myself from slipping into complacency and I'm glad to see that you're not letting yourself do that anymore. :-)

Second, I saw this "being a just 13 year old girl" and thought I would point out that no one is "just" anything. Like God told you, you are a light, not "just" a 13-year-old. Have you read "Do Hard Things"?

:-)