Saturday, July 4, 2009

A Day at the Orphanage in Guatemala

Hey guys
So sorry I had to cut it short yesterday. I ran out of the computer time so fast! We only have 15 minutes. Anyways, I just wanted to write a more detailed blog post on whats been happening.

We arrived at our hotel in Guatemala around 7p local time thursday night. (Guatemalan time is 2 hours behind us.) As soon as we got to the resort, we went downstairs to eat a late dinner then check in and go to bed. Our day started early friday morning with breakfast, team devos, and loading the bus to head out to outer Antigua to an orphanage.

The scenery on the way was amazing. From what I hear, we are sometime going to go up to a volcano, as well as go sailing. Wednesday I meet Luis!! I saw the updated picture and he is so cute! I am so ecstatic!

God has so far blessed us with safe travels, and my personal health. Please keep a girl named Abby in your prayers though, shes not feeling well.

Anyways we got to the orphanage and got to play with a bunch of kids. These kids were all infected with HIV and were between the ages of 2 and 5.

Soon after, a little boy, who none of the nuns knew his name, (I named him Pedro) became attached to my hip. He would cry everytime I put him down, or lift up his hands to grab mine. He was so cute!

While I was with him, one of the older boys who was in the 6th grade, offered to show me and a few others the whole orphanage, the classrooms, kitchen, bedrooms, garden, pigs, and turkeys. Although I couldn't understand everything he was saying, I could tell that he was very proud. When we stopped at the classroom, he showed us his artwork, and gave me a bracelet that he had made.
I ended up talking to the teacher, and got to know her. By then, we loaded back on the bus to eat the lovely pb&j, do our makeup and costume. Me as well as the 10 other mimes, are very special...and scary lookin. Nevertheless, the kids still loved us.

We were delayed 2 hours to do our drama because we forgot all of our sound equipment at the resort, but team 3 came to our rescue with theirs. After the drama, many people came to Christ. It was amazing to see God's power work through the people. After praying we got to hang out with the kids and we handed our our gifts. They were so happy, they loved it. After this, we got back on the bus, and headed back to the hotel. From then on it was hang out time until dinner. I sat by the pool with friends who are also from the OH, and we did a study on John 1. It was cool. After that we went to dinner and FUAGNEM. That was friday. Weather is normal, not too hot. Thanks for all of your support. You're awesome. Happy 4th of july!!
aubrey

6 comments:

Mrs. W-H said...

It sounds like an amazing experience! I haven't been able to hear from Aaron so I'm imagining he's having similar experiences! We will continue to pray for you all, you are all doing the Lord's work and we're behind you all the way!

In Christ,

Mrs. W-H aka Aaron's mom

Mom said...

Sounds like an amazing start! So glad to hear you are having a great impact and staying gounded in the Word while you are there. Enjoy this time!

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Kiddo :-)

Glad to hear you're doing well. Continuing to keep you in prayer continously.

Love ya.
Dad

Anonymous said...

Aubrey, Happy 4th of July. If this comment gets through it's because Auntie Nathalie clued me in on how to do it. We are very happy for you....To be able to do what you (and the others with you) have done is amazing! It's the difference between wishing and doing! You'll remember it forever. The time will go very fast. Get the most out of it. Say hello to Luis and his Family for us. We'll follow your news everyday.
Love Lucy and G'pa

Nathalie said...

Every day is a new adventure for you, take it all in and enjoy. Lots of love, Auntie Nathalie

Anonymous said...

Hey Aubrey! I am praying for God to work through you and in you. I am excited for you to meet Luis. May God bless you, him, and your time together.

Love, Sarah's Mom :)